Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What type of Dremel (or similar grinding product) do you use for your dog's nails?

I don't know if we just got a lousy one or if they're all chintzy, but our cordless Dremel is lousy. It's the orange one that is marketed specifically for grinding pet nails. It's always been rather weak and tends to fall apart or just stop working.





Now, I have a giant breed with thick, enormous nails. I am not interested in something meant for small dogs, and I'm not interested in a Peticure. We want cordless, and relatively cheap (not, like, $80).





What sort of Dremel would you recommend? Do you think we should get another of the ones that are sold for pet nails? What other type?What type of Dremel (or similar grinding product) do you use for your dog's nails?
Don't bother with any variety made for pet nails. I have a Dremel Minimite cordless that I use for my own (thick) toe nails. I got it after a trip to my podiotrist who used a Dremel to file my nails in her office. This was long before the pet nail grinders became popular. When I saw the commercials for them, I decided to try it on my dogs, and it works. It has two speeds so you can control how fast it grinds, and you can choose a fine or course sanding drum. I think I paid about $40 for mine, but I had to order it online because it wasn't in stock at any stores around my home. If you don't have to have a cordless model, you can find them at walmart, target, home depot etc.What type of Dremel (or similar grinding product) do you use for your dog's nails?
Dremel-MultiPro Cordless-7.2 Volt-2 speed. I used in on Dobermans hundreds of times. We use the replacement sanding Bands that are 60 Grit. (#408 in the replacement packages.)





Add: The one we have actually says 770, similar as the one Oregano posted. I think it's probably the same thing, but ours is as old as the hills and still working strong. The one in her posting says 7700.
We got a Black %26amp; Decker Dremel for my danes' nails. It's corded and cost around $30-$35. I'm not sure how much a cordless one would cost, but the Black %26amp; Decker's have always worked well for me.
I think you may be referring to the Pedipaws, not a Dremel. Dremel is a name brand tool that has never been orange and does not fall apart.


If you want a good quality nail grinder, buy a Dremel brand one. They run about $50 and are commercial quality, with a rechargeable battery and two speeds.





Edit: use caution when purchasing. The regular Dremel tool has too high of rpms, and if you are not an expert, you can burn the nails off, which is uncomfortable for the dog. The one that is manufactured for nail grinding has lower rpms and is much safer.





Edit: Dremel makes a nail grinder called the ';mini-mite';. It comes with a rechargeable battery and has two speeds, both of them with lower rpms. It runs around $50. I have no idea why more people don't know about it-last year it was all the rage at Walmart!


I happen to own one and have no problem with the thing slowing down or not doing the job properly.





http://www.petedge.com/Dremel-Mini-Mite-鈥?/a>
I don't %26amp; never will use one.


I've done thousands of nails w/a real nail-whacker-Millers Forge.
I am using a regular dremel, sold at Home Depot or Lowes in the tools section. Can also be used for various home projects. It is however not cordless.
Just go to a hardware store and pick out a pretty inexpensive yet decently designed hand grinder. You should be able to find one for about 20 bucks. The PediPaws of the world are worthless and a waste of money.
The orange ones stink cause you have to use batteries.


I have one that has a rechargeable battery. I can't find it at the moment but, it is either the 4.8 volt or 7.2 volt one that comes with a 25 accessory kit. You can get it at lowes, home depot...ect.
Pick up a standard cordless Dremel at the hardware store. Not the ones made specially for pets (which are underpowered and not too sturdy). I got one with two speeds and an abundance of attachments, including the sanding drums used for nails, for $29.99 on sale. Very sturdy, powerful, never had a problem with it at all, and I use it for 6 pets. I believe this is the one I have: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pr鈥?/a>





Add: RPM settings on this one are 10,000 and 20,000 for low and high. It doesn't hurt me if I slip and hit my finger, and doesn't seem to bother any of my pets at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment