Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is this a good product for dog's nails?

Just seen this advertised on TV %26amp; was wondering if anyone has used it %26amp; if it is better than the regular dog nail clippers?


http://www.peticure.com/demos.html





ThanksIs this a good product for dog's nails?
I use a Dremel on my dog's nails and have for many years. It keeps them shorter and smoother. The Peticure just has a cover over their Dremel and you can buy the cover seperate if you want. There is a great site where Dremeling is explained, DoberDawn..Is this a good product for dog's nails?
I also use a dremmel tool. I do like the guide that is advertised (the difference between peticure and a dremmel tool is the guide/color basically) but with care I don't need one. It is quicker to file/grind than clip (make sure the belt doesn't heat up too much) and you can round the nail instead of cutting it square.





ETA: For anyone who has a dog with longer hair on their paws/legs you can take a pair of knee-high nylons and pop their nails through. I learned that trick for painting the pups nails (she brings me the polish now...dorky girl:D) but it also works for keeping hair out of the belt while filing nails.
Since I started using the dremel I will never go back to using clippers again. You can get a dremel at home depot or lowes.


The dremel is the best thing in the world I can do all my dogs nails in less then 15 minutes.





I wouldn't mind having a guard on the dremel though so it would get caught in the dog's hair. I have got the dremel accidentally caught in my dogs because it is so long.
i use a Dremel pet tool. I have a Doberman Pinscher, and this is what I use on her. It is about the same as that peticure..but it doesnt have the gaurd on it. I prefer these grinding tools over clippers because it is virtually painless for the dog, and its easier NOT to hit the quick, because you can actually see the quick before you hit it...and my dog has black toenails.


I bought mine from


JeffersPet.com


and paid under $30 for the tool with replacement bands.
Yep, it's a fancy Dremel! I just started using a dremel on my dog because she hates having her nails clipped and I'm sick of accidentally quicking her. She likes it a bit better. With Dobes, I don't think you need to worry so much about the hair winding - unless your Dobies' paws are ridiculously hairy! The DoberDawn website is awesome and would give you a nice picture of what it'd look like on your dogs too. :)





ETA: Apparently I need to lay down on my squirmy dog... Oh, this will be fun...
A fancy Dremmel.....





I dremmel my dogs nails, it works well. But it's more time consuming than just clipping them.

No comments:

Post a Comment